Sometime around 6 o’clock two or three days a week Les
would leave his clerk in charge of the General Store and walk to “Jackie’s Cold
Day Inn” for a few sips of Jack with his friend Tom. They never got stupid
drunk, just got a little buzz, take the edge off the day’s work. While Les was
handling customers in his store, hearing their gossip, Tom, being Sheriff,
was dealing with folks outdoors doing the same. Mostly they’d trade news and
retell stories they’d told before, maybe adding a detail or two to improve the
telling.
![]() |
| A little sip'l do ya |
Wendy, the new waitress, sashayed
over bringing their drinks. As she walked away both men stared.
Len said, “She’s sure got a way
about her. Flirts without being too open but still flirty. A few nights ago I
was here with some friends and their wives talking over buying a new pulpit for
the minister. Ben and his wife were here. Wendy does her usual ‘well, howdy
boys’ routine like she does with all the men. I see Ben’s wife glaring at Wendy
as she goes back to the bar. Swear to God Luann was studying her back for just
the right place to drive a Buck knife between her shoulder blades. Luann’s
probably not the only woman thinking that way about the girl but you can’t
blame the kid for working for bigger tips can you?”
Still looking at Wendy standing
at the bar, Tom said, “Lotta the young guys think she’s coming on to them
specially. Coupla them are smitten but I hear she’s picky about her dates.
Deputy Dudley made a play for her and failed, not her type, I guess. She says,
‘Why, Dudley, what would Flora say if she saw you and me together?’
“He and Flora been going back and
forth for a while now and I don’t see her making up her mind between him and
Bedford. It’s not like she’s any Helen of Troy or nothing and she’s gotta be
over 25 by now. Like my grandma used ta say, it’s about time she holds her
nose and picks one.
“Dudley wants to run for Sheriff
when I retire. He’d make a good one. Kid’s thorough, keeps up with the new
stuff in policing, once in while comes up with ideas I never thought of. Only
thing is sometimes going by the book is the wrong way to solve a problem. Other
night he coulda just let Rollie sleep it off in his truck and nobody’s the
wiser. Instead, he arrests him and impounds the truck. I told him Rollie’s
harmless. All you done is humiliate the man and cost him impound fees. He’s
getting it but if he doesn’t loosen up more I might even vote for Bedford Tapscott when
the time comes.”
Les looked around to see if
anybody was eavesdropping. “You’d vote for Bedford Tapscott over Dudley? And what kinda
name is Bedford, anyway?”
“The name comes from his great
granddaddy, some kinda Civil War hero if you believe Bedford Sr. who isn’t
known for giving ground to anybody. I guess that rebel blood gets passed father
to son. He might make a good Sheriff. I think he’d be tough enough but I’ll
have to study him some before I give up on Dudley. Can’t really tell how he
would work around being a lawman sworn to uphold the laws he don’t like.”
The Sheriff finished his drink
and got up to leave. “See you tomorrow, Les.” He tipped his hat at Jackie and
Wendy.
Dudley sat in his car at the
crossroads rubbing his knees with both hands. The small knot on his forehead
hurt, too, but it wasn’t too bad. He was hoping the Sheriff wouldn’t see him
‘til he healed because he would have to explain why it hurt to walk and what
about the bruise on his head? If he stayed out until the Sheriff’s shift was
over he’d probably be okay by tomorrow. Just lay low, hope nobody sees him.
Flora. She was the woman he
wanted at his side when he became Sheriff Dudley. Would she be Mrs. Sheriff
Dudley or just Mrs. Dudley. Hell, what was he thinking? After last night it was
probably be over between them, and Bedford Tapscott would have a clear field
and who knows what he had in mind for Flora.
He and Flora had dated for a year
and things were just warming up from chaste kissing on her doorstep to more
serious stuff in his car. Not that Dudley was inexperienced with women. None of
the ones he’d dated before were marriage material. They just filled his need
for companionship and sex when his hormones overtook his brains.
No, Flora was exactly what his
minister and his mother told him was proper wife. God fearing church goer.
Innocent of mind, pure of body. So last night when she put her hand on his
thigh very near his privates, he was seriously shocked. His knees jerked up and
slammed into the steering wheel. A fraction of a second later as the pain fried
his brain, his head came down on the steering wheel. It got worse. He couldn’t
drive. Flora drove him home, helped him into his bed and left without saying a
word. How do you recover from a disaster like that? He pictured Bedford hearing
about it. Laughing. Making his move on Flora. It’s over. For real.
Then he thought, what if she
touched Bedford the same way? Would he be as stupid as me? No, not Bedford.
He’d go for a score. Flora ruined. Gone from his future.
He didn’t know Bedford wasn’t
having much luck with Flora. She was 25 years old and she’d been to community
college in Amarillo. There were plenty of ways to learn about the ins and outs
of the world there. She’d dated guys like Bedford and knew how to keep them
from getting too familiar. She liked Dudley, too. He was smart and steady if a
bit uptight; the kind of uptight who stopped kids on the street, order them to
pull their pants up and turn their ball caps around.
By the following day Dudley’s
knees healed up enough that he could move around without wincing except when he
tried to turn left or right. The Sheriff didn’t seem to notice and didn’t even
ask about the bruise on his forehead. He was parking his cruiser in front of
the Sheriff’s office when Wendy, out shopping, saw him and went over to say
hello.
![]() |
| A little dab'l do ya |
“Hi, Dudley. How’d you get that
bruise? It’s okay, not my business, cop stuff I’m guessing. You shouldn’t go
around looking like that. You’ll be all day explaining. How about I cover it up
some? A bit of foundation and powder and nobody’ll see it.” She dug the stuff
from her purse, a couple of dabs she was done. Then she brushed his hair down
to cover that. Dudley smiled and thanked her. She said, “Nothing to it” and
left. Bedford was stepping out of his iron works shop across the street for a
smoke. All he saw was Wendy leaning into the cruiser and running her fingers
through Dudley’s hair, grinning, saying something, walking away.
Well now, he thought, that’s
something Flora might want to hear about tonight when I take her dancing.
EMS, a fire engine, and Deputy
Dudley’s cruiser were already there by the time Sheriff Tom arrived at “Billy’s
Last Stand”. People were standing
outside gawking and talking about what they saw or heard. Tom scanned the crowd
quickly, nobody bleeding or hurt. Inside was a different story. He arrested
Bedford, Jim and Angel, and closed the bar.
Les was already at Jackie’s the
next afternoon when Sheriff came in for his afternoon break. Wendy waved hello
and brought his drink. They watched her walk away.
“Funny thing. Wendy did a
perfectly innocent thing yesterday morning and caused a fight 12 hours later
and 15 miles away.”
“I heard about the fight at
“Billy’s”. What’s Wendy got to do with it?”
“I’ll get to that in a minute.
You already know about the EMS and fire truck business so I’ll start there.
“First thing I saw when I walked
in was Dudley getting a splint on his knee and Bedford sitting on the floor,
both eyes swollen shut, holding his right hand tight. Looking around I see Jim
and Angel side hugging. Right away I think, the usual suspects, and I was
right. Billy saw the whole thing, gave me a quick rundown. So I arrested Jim,
Angel, and Bedford. Flora was there, too, and I noticed the only thing she was
seeing was Dudley. I told her to look after him, let me know how he’s doing.
“After I got everybody in their
cells I went home figuring I’d get their stories in the morning when they’ve
had some coffee for their hangovers.
“Checked on Dudley this morning.
He’s hurting still but he’ll be all right. Flora took him to the Emergency
Room, x-rays and stuff. Nothing broken, pain killers, he’ll see Doc later.
“So this morning Bedford’s in his
cell, hand and middle finger in a cast, eyes swollen and black, reminded me of
a raccoon. Jim and Angel together in the other cell, sitting on the bunk
leaning into each other. Hungover but nothing more than that.
“They started talking to me all
at once. I shut ‘em up. I picked Angel to tell her side first.
“She said, this guy Bedford
Hopscotch, or whatever his name is, gave me the finger for no reason. Jim and
me were sitting in our booth talking to friends having a good time when this
guy in the booth behind me says what am I laughing at. I say, a bad joke but
now I’m seeing a better one. Joking, you know?
“He turned full around and
flipped me off. Naturally, I grabbed his finger and pulled it back. He yelled
something and was gonna hit me with his other hand but Jim got there first, hit
right left, and down he went.
“I hear this crack, like snapping
a twig and then a godawful scream like I never heard before. Dudley was on his
back, his legs folded up tight against his chest, and his hands covering his
knees. I didn’t see what happened to him but Jim saw. Ask him.”
“Jim? What’d you see? He squinted
at me like the light hurt his eyes, asked me for more coffee.
“He says, yeah, I popped him
good. I say, I know that, Jim. Tell me about Dudley. Why’s he laid up this
morning?
“He says, oh yeah, Dudley. He was
doing his rounds, standing at the bar talking to the bartender, checking if
everything was all right, I guess. When the ruckus with that guy, Bedford, startled one of the waitresses dropped a tray full of mugs and pitchers. The
noise got Dudley’s attention and he whipped around to see. That’s when his knee
snapped. Angel’s right about the scream. I seen a lot guys hurt bad that didn’t
scream like that. Spooky.
“Some woman knelt down next to
Dudley, trying to help him.”
“That would be Flora, I said”
“Ok, whatever, anyway, I figured
somebody had already called 911 and that you’d be along by and by so we stayed
put. EMS got there first, took care of Dudley and doofus. That’s all I know.”
“Ok, Bedford, your turn.”
“Sheriff, I’m the victim. That
bitch broke my finger and her boyfriend clocked me.”
Angel sprang from the bunk and
tried to grab Bedford’s hair but Jim pulled her back.
“See what I mean? She’s nuts.”
“Bedford, why did you flip her
off? Simple question.”
“Okay, okay. Maybe I was wrong
but I was really pissed. Flora and I were on a date having fun, dancing. I had
a couple of shots and figured it was time to tell her I saw Dudley and Wendy
making nice that morning.
“I look at Flora for her reaction
but she’s smiling, not what I expected.
“So I say, why are you smiling?
You know who I’m talking about, that slutty barmaid, Wendy.
“Flora just sits there smiling
some more and I say again, why are you smiling?
“Bedford, she says, Wendy’s gay.
“What the hell, no way. Ever see
how she acts around men? Gives ‘em all the I’m available look.
“Bedford, she’s gay. Her wife
told me. Sure she gives all kinds of signals to you guys but she hasn’t gone
out with you or Dudley or any other guy. Maybe she looks easy, but you guys are
the easy ones. She’s not interested in you that way but she sure gets big tips.
Jackie says she makes more in tips than her salary.
“Then Bedford points at Angel and
says, I’m really steamed up then I hear her laugh and bump the backrest where
I’m sitting. Well, I thought she was laughing at me ‘cause she heard me and
Flora talking. I turn around, next thing I know she’s breaking my finger and
her boyfriend’s putting my lights out.”
“Hands on her hips Angel points her chin at
Bedford, she says, you ever lie to get something you want? Bet you have. Even
Jim, light of my life, lied to me first time he come on to me. Said he was a
boxer. He looked it, muscles, scars and all. Later on I asked him where he
boxed. He says, at Target. I put boxes in the delivery trucks. Way I see it,
Wendy’s no better or worse than anybody.
“That took care of Bedford so I
say, anything else? No? Okay. I haven’t decided how to charge you. I’m gonna
think on it. The dispatcher will take your written statements. Don’t go
anywhere.”
Les signaled Wendy for another
round. He watched her walk away. “If I was 30 years younger I’d make a run at
her, too.”
“I know what you mean. She is
special.
"I checked on Dudley again today.
Doc says his knee’s gonna heal, something about ligaments stretched. Anyway,
I’m still testing him, see if he’s got what it takes to take my job, see if he
knows the difference between the law and justice. We’re sitting there, me,
Dudley, and Flora. I tell them what I heard at the jail. Flora’s got this
little smile. So I say to Dudley I’m not sure how to handle that bunch in my
jail, what do you think?
“Mind you, he’s taking pain
killers so I listen close. He says, let ‘em go, Tom. Looks to me like there’s a
lot of hurt feelings, but no real crime. Jim was protecting his wife. Angel was
right to take Bedford on and Bedford’s an asshole, got what he deserved.
“Right then I decided when it
comes time I’m gonna tell everybody to vote him Sheriff. Bottoms up, Les”



No comments:
Post a Comment