![]() |
| We're gonna need a bigger horse, son. |
Jackie came up from behind, tapped me on the shoulder, and
said, “That means you, too, city boy.”
This bar’s never had a TV or a
jukebox. The regulars come here for a quiet place to have some drinks and
conversation, or just to sit alone. Sheriff Tom is one of the regulars. Rowdies
and troublemakers find out soon enough that quiet people can get rough if rough
is what’s required to keep the peace. Nobody can remember the last time there
was a fight at Jackie’s Cold Day Inn.
I come here to rest my mind after
spending the day pitching farm equipment, trying to convince farmers to replace
40 year old machinery; or ranchers that they need to replace old-fashioned
augers with new ones that dig post holes faster and with less chance of injury
to their ranch hands.
When I say I pitch I mean I’m a
major leaguer, throwing high fastballs and diving sliders one after another. My
company says I’m a star salesman. Most of the time the farmers and ranchers are
smart enough to figure out what’s coming and they hit homers off me more often
than not. Even when they’re ready to buy they’ll make me keep pitching a while
longer before they sign the dotted line. But I do well enough to make a living
at it, plus I like driving all over the panhandle on deserted county roads to
meet my customers. It feels like my minor league days going from town to town to play the local baseball teams.
If my boss offered me twice the money to work at company
headquarters I’d say no. I don’t know that I could stand it, sitting in an
office, knowing the open road is out there without me.
I got my drink at the bar and
took a table near the door where Sheriff Tom, Les, and Doc Harris usually sit
in the late afternoon.
| No TV, no Jukebox, no whining |
They turned up together and joined
me. I asked if the TV was for a football game.
Les said, “Nope. Not football. Six o’clock press conference the governor is giving Johnny Summers a medal for winning the
National Roping Tournament in Denver. He hasn’t lived here since he was 12 but
he’s still one of ours more or less.”
Five minutes later Jackie turned
the TV on, volume up high. The governor went on and on talking about everything
except why he and Johnny Summers were there. An aide whispered something in his
ear and the governor got down to the business of the day. He put a thick rope
lanyard with a medal around Johnny’s neck and invited him to say a few words.
Staring straight ahead, all the poor kid could manage was “Hi, Mom”. The
governor slid in front of him and thanked everybody for being there and said
goodnight.
I don’t know what else Jackie or
the men in the bar were expecting. Maybe a fight? Or maybe the kid would hogtie
the crooked governor, turn him over to the State Police. One or two of the
patrons hooted and clapped when governor mentioned Johnny’s hometown, the rest
went back to their conversations and drinks. Jackie turned the TV off.
Gary and Mike from the Conoco
station, still in their greasy coveralls, were sitting at the bar telling
Jackie some story about a fight they saw at Billy’s Last Stand. If I had
to guess Jim and Angel were in it somehow but I was too far away to hear the
details.
We watched Gary tell his story,
punching the air with his hairy fist showing Jackie the hit that took a cowboy
down. Jackie, head back, slapping her hands on the bar, laughing.
Gary finished his story and
Jackie came to our table with fresh drinks and clean ashtrays.
Tom asked her who Gary was
talking about.
“Jim and Angel”, she said.
Doc Harris pulled dollar bill
from his shirt pocket and slid it into Les’s open palm.
At the far end of the bar Wendy
was pouring coffee for a customer.
I pointed to the man and said,
“Coffee?”
Les glanced over his shoulder and
said, “Yeah, that’s Rollie. Been on the wagon off and on going on five years
now.
“After he spent three days in the
County Jail he made up his mind to stop drinking. Well, maybe not stop
altogether but cut down some so that at least he could remember what happened
the night before.
“The way I heard it, he’s doing
all right first week or so, has three beers, then asks for coffee before
heading home. Looking good except this particular night, Cindy, a waitress at
the Itchy Kitty Topless Bar brings his coffee but all she’s got is
Equal. He says, “Darlin’ this stuff gives me headaches. Can you get me some
real sugar?” She goes back to the bar, comes back and says, no, this is all we
got.
“He’s fighting the urge to say
screw it, gimme me another beer. Instead he calls out to the bartender to get
him some real sugar. Bartender shakes his head, no. That hits his last nerve so
he makes a fuss over what kinda cheap ass place this is that don’t have real
goddam U - S – A, All-American SUGAR.
“Mandy, she owns the place, was
in the back room checking inventory, hears him hollering. She doesn’t need
another ruckus that’ll bring the Sheriff. Just an hour before some jackleg got
too familiar with one of the dancers. Tom here put him down with kick in the
pants, sent him on his way. Anyway, Mandy, she goes over, stands behind Rollie
and says real nice, ‘Cindy, is he getting fresh? Rollie, what do you want? ’
“He whips around, spreads his
arms wide and says, “Mandy, all’s I want is a little sugar.”
“Mandy’s been in the business 30
years or more. It’s late, she’s tired, wants to go home. Randy cowboys are nothing
new at the Itchy Kitty. She’s a big woman, 250 at least, hands big as
fry pans. She slaps him upside his head, sits him down, tells him to stay,
tells Cindy put a shirt on and bring back some menudo from the Mexican place three doors down.”
“Ah, menudo,” said Doc
Harris. “The breakfast of people who oughta know better.”
Everybody, even the Sheriff,
looked at Doc Harris. Menudo? Breakfast of what?
Doc leaned back in his chair, a sure sign he had a story.
He took his time, slow sipping his bourbon.
“Long time ago, when Jorge was new in town I saw him come
stumbling out of Chato’s late one night. Looked to me like Tom or Deputy
Dudley would put him in the tank overnight if they saw him. I figured I’d save
the Sheriff some paperwork and Jorge some embarrassment so I said I’d take him
home but he said take me to Rosario’s Diner first.
“He said, ‘Amigo, the best
way to fix a hangover or get sober is eat a big bowl of menudo at Rosario’s
Diner.’ I asked what’s in it, he says, ‘Hominy, tripe, some other stuff.
It’s not something you like right away especially if you’re in the kitchen
while mamacita’s making it.
‘First she boils two pounds of chopped tripe in a big pot.
It smells like road kill been sitting in the sun for a day. Once it’s cooked
enough she adds her mother’s chili mix. Rosario says she uses four kinds of
peppers. After that she adds some soup bones, salt, garlic cloves, and fills
the pot with hominy. She lets it boil for a while, then sets it to simmer on
the stove.
![]() |
| Four kinds of peppers and other spices Rosario will never reveal |
‘It doesn’t smell like road kill
anymore and I can’t tell you what it smells like because I don’t care. I want
some now. Serve it in a big bowl, add some chopped onions and oregano flakes, a
hard roll on the side. Before you know it your sinuses are so clear you can
breathe through your ears, you can focus with both eyes at the same time; your
headache is going away. Downside is your mouth and throat’s burning up and you
can’t stop eating.’”
![]() |
| The first bowl is only $1.75 |
“I got Jorge home safe and sound. Me being a doctor and all I
gotta keep up with advances in medicine. If I can find some way to make menudo
pills I’ll be rich. Might have to marry Rosario to get the recipe. Problem is,
what to do about her husband, fittest man in the county, probly live to a
hundred.”
Tom said, “Menudo. Maybe
I’ll have Rosario fix me a batch to have at the jail on weekends. The closing
time cowboy roundup usually means three, four of ‘em be seeing me or my Deputy
come Sunday morning.”
Mike and Gary finished their
drinks, paid Jackie. As they passed by on their way out, Les asked Mike what
they said to Jackie to make her laugh.
Mike said, “Happened Friday two
weeks ago at Billy’s. This guy, Donny, new guy on the road crew, starts
ragging another guy just because. He likes to talk tough, start fights but only
if there’s somebody there to stop ‘em before it comes to blows. The guy ignores
him but Donny won’t let it go, starts getting personal. What he don’t know is
the guy he’s ragging is Jim. His friends don’t know it’s Jim either. They don’t
know his wife, Angel’s standing next to him.
“Now, all ah you know Jim never
throws the first punch. If you wanna fight ‘im you better square up tight and
don’t look at his face too long. More’n one cowboy’s backed off when Jim gets
that killer look in his eyes. If anything, they oughta look out for Angel. She
don’t wait for the first punch. First sign of intent, she’s attacking with
everything she’s got. Man, woman, tall, short, don’t matter to her. Most times
it’s Jim gotta pull her off.
“I tried to warn Donny but he
laughed saying Jim was scared to fight ‘cause his old lady would cut him off if
he went home all beat to hell. His buddies laughed and hooted, having fun.”
“Jim don’t say nothin’, looks
around the bar, waves at some guys at the pool table in the back.
“Angel, she turns around facing
the guy and says, ‘Cowboy, you got a wife or a girlfriend? What’s your
girlfriend gonna say if you tell her you got beat up by girl?’
“Donny don’t even look her way,
he says, ‘Baby, this ain’t your fight. Leave it to the men.’
“Jim says, ‘Angel, let it be.’ He
turns his back and Donny looks around, showing off to his friends, makes like
he’s gonna throw a punch. Quick as a cat, Angel gives him a knee in the crotch.
He goes into a crouch grabbing the family jewels with both hands and she
finishes him off with an overhand cross. BAM! Like this. Coupla Donny’s friends
start to make a move but Jim looks them off, puts some money on the bar, takes
Angel’s arm and they go home.”
![]() |
| No, not these family jewels |
Tom said, “Wonder of wonders, the
Deputy’s report said everybody in the bar was deaf and blind that night.”
Gary and Mike left. Nobody said
anything for a while, probably filing the story away for retelling some other
day. Tom puffed on his Cheroot. Les and Doc stirred their drinks with their
fingers.
I said, “Why is it there’s so
much talk about fights, even fights that happened a long time ago?”
They were quiet for moment,
thinking. Tom was the first to speak.
“I think it's football”, he said. “You’ve been
around these parts and you know how folks live and die by their team. Boys
start young, peewee leagues, up through high school. They’re buttin’ heads and
bodies against each other year after year then graduation and just like that
it’s over.
![]() |
| Once you graduate, it's over |
![]() |
| And I say unto you ... Touchdown! |
“Early training like that don’t
go away. Young fellas, years out of school, still feel that urge to hit
somebody different from them, start fights for no good reason. Then the day
comes when the bruises don’t heal so fast, or they see double too many days
after. The blood cools, gets up to their brains and they think maybe fighting’s
a waste of time and body. The boys become men. Look around, no boys in this
bar.”
Tom stubbed out his Cheroot and
leaned back.
In a low voice Les said, “You
know folks here don’t have a lotta money for entertainment. Most days are
boring from sunrise to sunset. Nighttime’s no better. Every day is near the
same. Same cattle, cotton, rain, no rain, same troubles every day one after the
other. Everybody’s day is the same as everybody else’s. Nothing happens that
hasn’t happened the same way a thousand times before.
“Fights get the blood up, a few
drinks on top of that and the fights get better and better every time you tell
it. People listening eat it up. A two-minute fight can take 20 to tell if you
do it right. And no two fights are the same. If two, three other people seen
it, they’ll tell different sides of a story. Kinda like instant replay with
lotsa camera angles.
“Think a minute. Nobody has cars or trucks worth a damn,
besides we need them for work. Can’t race them, and truck pulls, mud rallies
probly turn up bad trannies, stripped gears or worse. Can’t risk it. Talking
fights beats sitting around watching TV preachers promising to save me from
burnin’ in a ‘Lake of Fire’ for eternity if I give ‘em my money. Hell, I had a
secret way to heaven I give it away for free.”
Doc chuckled and said, “And if
you’re thinking about stepping out on your wife or girlfriend for something to
do, well, don’t even try it. I’m not saying there’s not some cheating going on
here and there but keeping it quiet only lasts a minute or two. Hang around
Maggie over at the post office. Don’t know how she does it but she’ll know if
you’re cheating even if you’re only thinking about it.
“Good news or bad, gossip travels
fast. Truck breaks down, the news gets to town before you do. Swear to god, one
time my truck quit on the 221 about 35 miles out. I hitched a ride with a
tourist passing through. I get out of his car, go to the post office, Maggie
hands me my mail, says, ‘I heard you left your truck on the 221.’”
![]() |
| A one minute story |
The way he grinned I couldn’t
decide if he was telling the truth or lying.
Tom stood up, ready to leave. He
put some bills on the table and said, “The next round’s on me.”
He looked at me and said, “Son, a
truck breaking down ain’t much of a story, happens to somebody every day. Doc
just told you the whole thing in two, three sentences, less than a minute. A
good fight story, nobody knows how it starts or how it’s gonna turn out ‘til
it’s over. Now which stories do you wanna hear?”
He put on his hat, nodded towards
Jackie at the bar and went out the door.








I love this story...Angel sorta reminds me of me when I drank...I always wore pointy toed cowboy boots..and let me tell you my little 51/2 boot size could do some damage to a pair of gonads...and did on more than one occasion.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you liked it. Just so you know, all my characters are fictional except for the ones that aren't.
DeleteI like the road kill bit. I had to go look up something I'd learned a looong time ago about a native delicacy: taking the animal's stomach, adding all the offal and some water, and roasting it over a fire.
ReplyDeletehttps://archive.org/stream/journeyfromprinc06hear/journeyfromprinc06hear_djvu.txt
DeletePage 171
Thanks for the fun story. Had a friend in boot (not cowboy) camp. He wasn't very big, around 120 pounds or so. Don't think he ever won one but he sure liked to try.
ReplyDeleteYour comment reminded me of Mike McGregor except he wasn't 120lbs. More like 200 and 6'2". Always ready to knock things over or around. Good guy to have on your side.
ReplyDelete