On December 31,
2007, 12:00 PM I left my
office for the last time. There was no one there to bid me farewell, wish me
luck, or lament my leaving. All my co-workers were on Christmas holiday. I
redirected my phone line to the secretary’s phone, turned off the lights,
locked the doors and went home. I was unemployed and officially laid off but
eligible for recall by my former company though I was pointedly told that that
would not happen. The company I worked for had been sold.
Some people think it’s ironic that after spending my
entire adult life working on and with consumer electronics (TV’s, stereos,
satellite dishes) I don’t own a TV. The same people might think I’m being
elitist in some way that lets me brag about the fact that I don’t watch
television like the vast majority of lesser folks. Actually, the reason is more
prosaic. I don’t have a TV because there isn’t much I want to watch.
Paying subscription fees to DirecTV or Comcast doesn’t make sense if you’re
only interested in a handful of programs; and furthermore, if you miss those
programs, there is a ‘so what’ moment in which you understand that if you never
see those shows again your life will not change in any way whatsoever.
![]() |
| "Everybody lies" ~ House |
The other night I was watching an episode of “House, M.D.”
on Hulu. “House” is about a brilliant doctor whose misanthropy closely mirrors
mine. My mastery of my profession doesn’t remotely resemble House’s fictional
one but we are pretty close in our views about human nature. But all that
aside, Hulu provides its internet users with current TV programs for free but
has periodic commercial breaks. The frequency of the interruptions is about the
same as regular TV watching but with a curious addition. The commercials are interactive.
As the commercial plays a message appears at the top right of the computer
screen asking: “Is this advertising relevant to you? “Yes” / “No”. You can click “Yes” or “No” and Hulu
responds with a polite thank you message.
I usually respond “No” because commercials for women’s
makeup don’t apply to me. I already have good insurance; I don’t eat fast
foods; my pets eat store brand kibble; I don’t suffer from high blood pressure,
anxiety, chronic back pain, irritable bowel syndrome, or rickets; I’m not
looking for a new car. In fact, based on my “No” responses my relevance to
Hulu’s commercial sponsors is zero. I cement my disinterest even more by muting
the sound during commercials, which if there is some way they can know this
too, the advertisers could in theory, block my access but that would be
overkill. Besides, I could be watching the program, muted commercials and all,
with someone for whom the advertising is relevant.
Dr. House was busy solving yet another mystery that had
baffled the entire medical community. The scene closed as House insulted his
staff for 137th time. I looked away as the commercial played and saw
a photograph of me petting Nipper, our company mascot, almost eighteen years
ago. Considering that the pup was about 4 years old at the time, he must be
over 150 years old now. And I’ll bet any money that I’m in better shape than he
is. The color picture has been fading steadily and in a few years it will
scarcely be visible. I’m fading from that memento as surely as I’m fading into
irrelevance in the workaday world.
![]() |
| In Doggy Dollars he earned 7 times my salary |
![]() |
| I've Fallen and I can't get up |
My cell phone is permanently turned off. Telemarketers are
discouraged from calling my home phone because I signed up with the Do Not Call
directory. When LDS members knock on my door I tell them that I’m a lapsed
Mormon and they flee as though from the devil himself. I got that tip from a
friend who told me LDS members are commanded to have no contact whatsoever with
members who have “fallen” into apostasy.
I actually like people but only for short periods unless
they know something I want to know. My reserve of small talk so tiny that I
have to prepare and rehearse bits of information whenever I know I’m going to
be among people other than my family. Using a trick I learned from my dog, I do
a lot of nodding and cocking my head when someone tells me details about their
lives that they shouldn’t be telling anyone but their Confessor.
![]() |
| No......... I did not know Snooki was such a bitch |
A long time ago I read a dedication to book whose title I’ve
forgotten now. To paraphrase the dedication it said that if you can sit
perfectly still, the world will unfurl itself at your feet. I took that to mean
that if you paid attention and listened closely you could know everything you would
ever need to know. With today’s technology I can sit perfectly still and watch
the world unfurl itself on my laptop. My fast internet connection allows me to
know of events large and small from the world over. I partake of lots of
silliness as well as hard news about various predations taking place here and
elsewhere. Thanks to the internet I can take a long view of history which tells
me that the arrival of Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse isn’t imminent. In fact,
they haven’t even saddled up yet.
![]() |
| Lots of horsepower and horse pucky |
It’s really hard to organize even a smallnumber of individuals to do anything in unison. Just ask any high school
basketball coach.
![]() |
| Just once, can you do it like you practiced? |
The world may not know or care who or where I am but I know
where the world is.






My husband is actually a former JW, known as "apostates". They're even more strict about no contact.
ReplyDeleteI don't have a TV, either (I don't count the emergency DTV I have in the tornado closet)
Oh, and if you have AdBlock on Firefox, you don't see a lot of ads. It makes Hulu very sad, and they give hints on how you might get the commercials back.
I gave up TV by accident. I cut off the cable to save money, and the DTV came along and that was it. My kids miss it, but not enough to whine for me to get one. It's just one more thing to look forward to on road trips: hotel TV!
As for me, the desire has pretty much atrophied. I might dig up an episode that someone said I Must Watch to understand something, but usually a YouTube clip will do it.
It's harder for me to sit still and watch the world go by - I still want some more laps around the track to see if I can make some useful prints in the sand.
@Anonymous
ReplyDeleteReading between the lines I think you are at or near middle age (kids, work). You like your job want to make it work for the benefit of others. You are in a mid level management position that gives you autonomy to do your job as you like it. Good on you.
Watching the world go by is not the same as watching TV. Most TV has no content worth remembering. Really listening and thinking are anathema to TV. When you listen and think, you are learning. You are never bored.
If I could I would. The other half would not, thus I seem to be stuck with two of them. "House" is on the list of things watched. In the interest of keeping things honest, I did watch most of a football game Sunday - can't remember who played or won though.
ReplyDelete